Oh man, these huevos rancheros are so delicious! I put these right up there with tacos. Yes, I just put these on the same top shelf as the beloved and versatile taco. Don’t lose culinary respect for me quite yet. I’m the kind of gal that can eat salsa by the spoonfuls and wash it down with some horchata. I guess you can say I a Mexi-fan. (I just made that up). Anything Mexican, I want it. Sometimes all I want in my life is some fresh and soft pan dulce with a mug of Mexican hot chocolate. I get a little self conscious when I’m with friends at a Mexican restaurant because I get the corn chips and just spoon the salsa into my mouth. Quieres mas salsa? Si, por favor. Okay, I’m distracted and hungry. Back to eggs! That’s what makes these eggs so amazing. The super simple and robust flavor of the salsa with it. Eggs are good. But with salsa? And beans? And queso fresco? Are you starting to understand my adoration for this stuff? So.much. flavor. You can eat these plain with some toast and bacon on the side or you can eat them the way I prefer which is on a bed of beans on top of a tostada. Party in your mouth.
And to give credit where credit is due, my fabulous sister-in-law made them for me a couple years ago and once you have had them, I guarantee you’ll want them again and again! If you are craving a simple and traditional Mexican breakfast, give this recipe a try. Huevos rancheros is just Spanish for ‘ranch eggs’ and were commonly eaten and prepared this way by farmers and ranchers in Mexico. All they are are some eggs with some kind tomato based salsa, but that makes them sounds so basic and these are not just your basic eggs and salsa. What I love about this recipe is that I can throw it together in literally 15-20 minutes. And if I close my eyes and concentrate enough, I feel like I’m sitting at our favorite breakfast cafe in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico with the breeze in my hair, the sound of the markets around me and the smell of fresh corn tortillas. You can’t really mess this one up, so give this tasty and different breakfast a try! Full recipe below.
***Sidenote, I love my pampered chef small steamer I bought years and years ago at a garage sale for 25 cents. I just throw my canned beans in there, a little water so it’s not so thick, some dried onion, cumin, garlic and pepper and they come out of the microwave tasting homemade without all the work. My steamer is old and ugly but I LOVE it. Click ====>>>> Pampered Chef Small Micro-Cooker to see it on Amazon for $17.98.
1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1/4 large onion, chopped finely
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cans of Mexican stewed tomatoes
1 can refried beans
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste **Don’t forget to season and taste to your liking**
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add in minced jalapeño and onion. Cook until tender.
2. In a blender, blend canned tomatoes just blended, not too long!
3. Add blended tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper into saucepan. Stir and turn to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes to let flavors meld.
4. In steamer or small saucepan, add can of beans, about 3 Tablespoons of water, some dried onion flakes, pepper and a dash of cumin and heat. Set aside.
5. Crack eggs and carefully place them into the hot salsa. Use a spoon to make a little hole for eggs. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on low or until the eggs are to your liking. I like over-medium.
6. Spread a layer of beans on a tostada, place egg and salsa on beans and garnish with cilantro and cheese.