I was feeling a little under the weather yesterday which means the only thing that sounded remotely good was soup! Chicken noodle is a quick and satisfying go to for me but creamy chicken noodle sounded more hearty and comforting. As with any cream based soup, DO NOT ask or wonder about calories with this one, just enjoy it. Ha. I used Costco’s frozen chicken tenderloins for convenience and with how I did it, it turned out super good! It may be sunny out there but it still is pretty chilly and this soup will hit the spot! It’s not overly creamy and thick but still is filling and oh so comforting. I used regular noodles since my littlest can’t have egg noodles and it was very good. The recipe would be a true chicken noodle with egg noodles though. Throw together this delicious and satisfying soup tonight and let me know what you think. You may have everything for it on hand already. We had a little French bread from the weekend that we ate with it and the boys gobbled it up and asked for me to pack it for their lunch today.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3-4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 bayleaf
- 7 cups chicken broth (Or you can use bullion just maybe lessen the salt)
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cups egg noodles, dry (I used regular noodles for egg allergy purposes)
- 1 lb chicken, cooked (or you can throw in frozen like I did)
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add in carrots, onions and celery and cook until tender. Add in garlic, bay leaf, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth and fresh parsley. Bring to a boil, cover and let veggies get soft, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, add water and cook noodles until tender, about 7-8 minutes.
- In a separate small saucepan over medium heat melt butter and stir in flour and whisk constantly for about 1½ – 2 minutes. Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly. Stir in heavy cream and bring to a light boil. Let simmer until sauce thickens, continue stirring.
- Pour sauce into chicken noodle soup and stir until combined.
- Add in cooked diced chicken and drained cooked noodles and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
******If you end up wanting to use frozen chicken, put it in the pot after you add in the broth and cover and simmer until the chicken is done. When it’s done cooking, fish out the chicken and cut into cubes and put back into the broth.