Who doesn’t love creamy pasta with seasoned chicken and lots of bell peppers and mushrooms? I will admit I have one kid who doesn’t love cooked mushrooms but it’s not hard for him to pick them out in this dish. I don’t know about you but I’m not a huge leftovers fan, however I’ll happily eat this the next day. It’s so good! I’ve made this yummy meal with rotisserie chicken when I’m in a hurry and I’ve even swapped in different veggies in a pinch. My husband and I also incorporate zucchini noodles into the linguine noodles making it a little lighter and just as delicious. The sauce is to die for and really easy since you blend the cream cheese to make a slurry with milk, chicken broth and flour. No worrying about browning a roux in this recipe! Hope you love it as much as we all do!
Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Serves 6-8 people
1 lb uncooked linguine
1 1/2 pound chicken, cut into strips
1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or to taste)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons flour
4 ounces cream cheese
2 green onions, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. In a small blender combine cream cheese, milk, flour and chicken broth and blend well until a slurry is made. Set aside.
3. Season sliced chicken with cajun seasoning and garlic powder and toss to cover. Heat oil in large pan and cook chicken until done. Remove and set aside.
4. Add in bell peppers onions and mushrooms into same hot pan and cook until just tender.
5. When veggies are done, add in cream cheese mixture and cook until sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Add in chicken and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
6. Combine noodles with the veggie mix and top with chopped green onions.
Adapted from skinny taste.com